Car crashes account for approximately 6,000 deaths annually of American teens. While 15 to 20 year olds only account for 6.7% of the total driving population, they account for 14% of all fatal crashes.
- About 60% of fatally injured teen drivers were not wearing a seat belt
- 65% of teen passenger deaths occur at the hands of a teen driver.
- About 50% of the crashes involving 16-year-old drivers are single vehicle crashes
- 41% of fatal crashes occur at nighttime.
Wilsonville Police take the dangers of teen driving very seriously. All newer drivers should expect strict enforcement of the following statutes:
- Speed racing
- License and new driver license restrictions
- Impaired and distracted driving
- Seatbelt violations
- Unreasonable sound amplification