Coffee Creek Industrial Area Form-Based Code
Work sessions are scheduled throughout the summer to gather feedback from the Planning Commission, Development Review Board, and City Council on outstanding policy and process questions identified in the previous phase of this project. Planned work session dates are listed below. All meetings are held at City Hall - Council Chambers, 29799 SW Town Center Loop E, Wilsonville, OR 97070.
What is Form-based Code and How Will it Work?
The City of Wilsonville expects new development in the Coffee Creek Industrial Area to contribute to a robust employment district in North Wilsonville by:
- Creating well-designed, high-quality buildings that serve current needs and are adaptable to future uses;
- Integrating industrial land uses with all modes of transportation including walking, biking, and transit;
- Preserving existing trees and natural features and enhancing the character and qualities of a unique landscape with a distinctive image and identity;
- Preserving existing jobs and creating new ones; and
- Fostering a quality physical environment for employees.
The Form-based Code will set forth the standards for development and define the essential design elements that are critical to development. These standards will represent a baseline for the development of employment uses in industrial areas.
Form-based Codes differ from conventional development codes because they set high-quality design standards for the development of the public realm supported by regulations for building design and development. These codes also differ by including provisions for creating a complete network of existing and new streets, paths, and trails that will support a sense of place and identity. Form-based Codes seek to provide the appropriate balance between certainty of results for communities with flexibility for developers to adapt to changing market conditions.
Process and Timing
The draft Form-based Code, along with an accompanying Pattern Book for the Coffee Creek Industrial Area, was developed in 2014-2015 with funding from a Transportation and Growth Management (TGM) Code Assistance Grant. More information about development of these drafts, including information about stakeholder input, is available in the historical information below. The final phase of the project seeks to address process questions raised during the last round of Planning Commission and City Council work sessions in 2015, with formal adoption of the Form-based Code to follow.
|Identification and refinement of process options
|Work sessions and one-on-one meetings
|Resolution of outstanding policy and process questions
|Staff report publication with final draft Form-based Code and Pattern Book
|Form-based Code adoption
||Fall 2017 /Winter 2018
How Can I Get Involved?
We want to create a development code that is implementable and has broad community support. We encourage you to become involved and part of the decision-making process. You can follow along or participate by:
- Providing your comments on the Form-based Code and Pattern Book here.
- Signing up for the project updates here.
- Attending scheduled work sessions and public hearings.
- Contact project staff to ask questions to learn more (see "Contact Us" section).
Project Archive - Coffee Creek Industrial Form-based Code:
The Coffee Creek Industrial Form-based Code project kicked off with a site visit and community tour in the fall of 2013 that helped to build a shared understanding among the project stakeholders of the existing conditions and the potential for a Form-based Code to become a new and effective tool for development review. Subsequently, the project team undertook a critical assessment and evaluation of the existing regulatory frameworks that govern development in the Coffee Creek Industrial Master Plan area. This work was completed in the winter of 2013 and helped inform the project approach to the draft Form-based Code and the draft Pattern Book. A Technical Advisory Committee provided ongoing review, input, and guidance to the Coffee Creek Light Industrial Form-based Code and Pattern Book, composed of committee members drawn from local jurisdictions, agencies, service providers, and stakeholders.
The first draft of the Form-based Code and Pattern Book was completed in early May 2014 in consultation with – and input from – stakeholders and Planning Commissioners. A second draft of the Form-based Code and Pattern Book was completed in early July 2014 with the benefit of input from Planning Commissioners and the City Council. After this, a “Road Test” was conducted to test the standards of the Form-based Code through 3D modeling of prototypical industrial and office development at a variety of scales, and by processing prototypical project applications through a series of simulated development reviews.
Based on this work, updated drafts were presented to the Planning Commission and City Council in July 2015. Feedback received during those work sessions will inform the final phase of the project.
Additional documents, maps, and resources will be added to this page as they are completed.
- City of Wilsonville Map with Coffee Creek Industrial Master Plan
- Coffee Creek Industrial Master Plan Area Map
Memos and Reports
- City Council Form-based Code Staff Report and Attachments including draft Code and Pattern Book - 07.20.2015
- Draft Code 07.2015
- Planning Commission Form-based Code Staff Report and Attachments including draft Code and Pattern Book - 07.08.2015
- Planning Commission Work Session Staff Report - 05.13.2015
- Proposed Coffee Creek Form-based Code Draft 07.2014
- Pattern Book for the Coffee Creek Industrial Area Draft 07.2014
City Council Form-based Code Staff Report and Attachments - Draft Code and Pattern Book 07.21.2014
- Planning Commission Form-based Code Staff Report and Attachments - Draft Code and Pattern Book 07.09.2014
- Planning Commission Form-based Code Staff Report and Attachments 02.19.2014
- 2016 Coffee Creek Urban Renewal Plan & Report
- 2007 Coffee Creek Industrial Area Master Plan and 2011 Coffee Creek Industrial Area Infrastructure Report
- Sacramento Area Council of Governments Form Based Code Handbook
The SACOG Form-Based Code Handbook is an educational handbook describes what a form-based code is, the basic components and advantages, and examples and analyses of different form-base code approaches as adopted by municipalities nationwide.